Tag Clouds: Add Fun and Function to Your Blog with Tag CloudsBy
The Internet has brought many new terms and practices to the business world. One of these is tag clouds. If you are a frequent Internet surfer, you may have used tag clouds. Tag clouds are trendy navigation tools that make it easy for site visitors to jump to the most popular links on your site. They also add some visual fun to the web page or blog, often appearing as a group of words stacked on top of each other, with some words much larger and bolder. The visual prominence of the words is determined by the popularity of the word.
What is a tag cloud? Basically, tags are related hyperlinks that allow the user to drill down into your site. The more frequently used tags are often represented in larger bolder fonts and stronger colors. Typical tag clouds have between 30 and 150 tags.
Types of tag clouds:
There are three primary types of tag cloud applications, characterized by their meaning rather than their appearance. The tags can appear in alphabetical order, in random order, sorted by weight, or in clustered according to the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence or text.
* A tag cloud for each item: With this type, there is a tag cloud for each item. The size represents the number of times that tag has been applied to a single item.
* Global tag clouds: This type, which is more commonly used, involves multiple tag clouds combining the frequencies of all items and users. The size represents the number of items to which a tag has been applied, indicating each tag’s popularity.
* In the third type, tags are used to categorize content items. The larger tags represent the quantity of content items in that category.
If you would like to create tag clouds, WordPress has many plug-ins. For a list and description of available plugins, search the WordPress Plugin Directory at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/. Be sure to check out the WP Colorful Tag Cloud plugin. WP Colorful Tag Cloud allows you to display an attractive tag cloud using a variety of customizable colors. Colors depend on tags weights and sizes.
Here’s how to install the WP Colorful Tag Cloud plugin.
1. Unzip and upload wp-colorful-tag-cloud directory to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
2. Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
3. Customize your settings using the menu item under Settings, Colorful tag Cloud.
4. Remember to save your settings.